It’s hard to tell how big something will be when it’s scrunched up on circulars. And, of course, doing a stitch count and the necessary math would have just been overkill.
So, now it’s big enough to go up over my head like most enormous cowls (instead of the neckwarmer I thought it would be) but it’s not wide enough to do more than make a feint at keeping the top of my head warm. Perhaps I can knit the second ball into a similar size, then graft them together down the middle. I’m also hoping that the minor stretch job I gave it while blocking will help it expand.
After I bound off the cowl I found myself in an emergency situation. I was only partway into the audio dramatization of Les Miserables (for the first time ever), and I had no knitting projects in progress to work on! I couldn’t spin during it because the wheel would have made too much noise. And, of course, I couldn’t just sit there and listen without something to do with my hands. That wouldn’t have been nearly as fun.
After some desperate stash scrambling I printed out the Baroness Beret pattern (free on Ravelry) and got started with some handspun worsted weight. I’m pretty sure the yarn is indigo dyed.
And, with the aid of the beret in progress, I finished Les Miserables to loud acclaim from myself. I may just need to dig up a copy of the actual book now. Only I can’t knit while listening to that.
But, thanks to various knitting moments, the tam is also done and blocking.
My Knitpicks yarn arrived yesterday. I’ve already done a gauge swatch on the charcoal gray. (Gorgeous stuff. I’ll have to get more of it in the future for some project or other.) And I’m happy with the sweater yarn color. One moment it looks brown and the next it looks purple. Two colors that I like very much indeed. Once I get the gray tam done I can dive in on the cowl-neck sweater!